No, the title is actually not mine - although I loved it when I read it. Read on.
One stumbling block I’m finding is that desperately want to write code which is common to both ViEmu and NGEDIT. I mean, code that deals with text. And this means all areas in which I’m developing, vi emulation, the new features of NGEDIT, etc…
On one hand, ViEmu works with the internal text buffer of Visual Studio, which work with 16-bit wchar_t, called simply ‘Unicode’ by Microsoft, but which are actually the UCS-2 little-endian encoded version of Unicode (I talk about 16-bit wchar_t’s because this is actually not defined in the C++ standard, as happens with all built-in types, and GNU gcc for example implements them as 4-byte values).
On the other hand, NGEDIT deals with all types of underlying text encodings, including Unicode, platform-native one-byte-per-char, variable length UTF-8, etc… The underlying text store management code stores the text in fixed-size pages and is accessible through simple byte pointers and unsigned count of bytes - not null-terminated strings.
I’ve been working in some template classes to manipulate strings for months now. They are unfinished and only partly usable. The deal is, when you start actually trying to build complex template stuff in C++, it gets hairy very soon - and you find out about the many limitations of C++’s templates. Not only the syntax, but the sheer amount of red-tape you have to write.
I think I’ve made some significant advance in this area. My goal is to be able to write, for example, a tokenizer, in such a way that I can instance it as TTokenizer
Anyway, I was Goo^H^H^Hresearching earlier this week, and stumbled into a similar initiative by Ryan Myers from Microsoft. He’s been documenting it in his blog, and although it is unfinished yet, the 8 posts he did early this year are a very interesting read for C++ programmers. His goal is not exactly the same as mine, as he is developing a single template-based string class that manages both interpretation and memory needs, and I have separate assorted template classes for each nead - I think it wil be better for my code to separate those two. But his blog posts were an awesome read. His own words: “I’m out to create a string class for C++ that doesn’t suck”. And I couldn’t agree more.
I’m hoping that I will have the template stuff working by the end of the week, and this will in turn unlock my working in the common regular expression for both applications. I will also be rewriting the new features I’ve started implementing for NGEDIT using the new common framework (among other things, like the fact I hate writing code bound to work with ‘char’s or ‘wchar_t’s, the features may some time make it into another VS .NET add-in).